Indoor Netball Rules
General Netball Rules apply - contact, obstruction, stepping,
held ball, for both 5
- A - Side and 6 - A - Side competitions.
6 - A - Side
Positions and Players
( 3 ) Male & ( 3 ) Females take the court.
( 1 )Male player must play in each third, in the following positions,
One in goal shooter or goal attack or
One in wing defence or wing attack or
One in goal keeper or goal defence.
The game is ( 2 ) x ( 13 ) minute halves, with a ( 1 ) minute half time break.
***Late arrivals & Substitutions***
1. There must be ( 3 ) team members present for the game not to be classified as a forfeit.
2. If a team is over ( 5 ) minutes late for their scheduled match, it is declared a forfeit.
Teams receive a ( 3 ) point goal head start for every ( 1 ) minutes the opposition delays taking the court. This must be cleared with the front counter.
4. Substitutes can only be made at the half time break or in the event of an injury or illness.
- If a team takes the court short of players, when the late players arrive they must wait for the next centre pass & inform the umpire before entering the court.
- If a team has found ‘fill in’ players to start the game, the late players can not take the court until the half time break.
5. Players may only fill in ( 2 ) divisions lower then their highest grade EG: Division ( 1 ) players can play no lower than division ( 3 ).
- When playing in a lower grade, that player must play out of their normal position EG: GA must play GD or GK.
- We rely on our player’s honesty with fill in players to play out of position. If any team feels that their opposition is not abiding by these centre rules, please see the staff at the counter, before the game commences or at half time.
- Players may play any position when they are playing in higher grades.
- WD substitutes as the Centre (C), taking the centre pass. The oppositions WA defend the centre pass. When it is the oppositions centre, the WD defends the WA behind the transverse line.
- GS & GK must be in the goal circle before the whistle is blown for the first centre pass of each half. Once the whistle has blown they may leave the goal circle.
- The centre pass must be received in the centre third & must be touched by a player before the ball touches the side net.
- Free pass will be awarded to the opposition if the ball is ‘Un-touched’.
- The whistle for a centre pass will be blown when all players are in their area of play.
- The ( WD ) centre must be wholly within the circle
- Players may be warned then penalised for deliberate delay in play.
***Area’s of play***
1. WA & WD = All the court, except the goal circles. Area’s A, B & C
2. GA & GD = 2/3 of the court including goal circle. Area’s A&B or B&C.
3. GS & GK = only allowed in their third of the court Area’s A or C only.
***Net rule & over a third***
- The ball must be touched by a player in all three thirds, this includes over a third to the back net & from the back net the ball must also be touched before entering the centre third.
- A player can brush the net, other than brushing the net; at no time can a player make contact with the net whether they have possession of the ball or not.
- A player may not step, land, push off or jump into the nets.
- The ball shall be ‘live’ off all nets. Once a player has released the ball that player may not touch or regain possession until it is first touched by another player or makes contact with the goal ring.
- The nets may not be used to ‘pin’ a player in such a manner as to prevent movement.
- It is advised that a person from each team sit together to score, as the score recorded on the official scoresheet is the score that will be taken.
- For a legitimate goal to be scored on the buzzer & the umpire’s call of time, the ball must have passed through the goal ring.
- No goal will be awarded directly off the back net.
- Teams receive
Loss on Forfeit
***BLOOD & INJURY TIME***
- If a player has blood on their body or clothing they must leave the court. Players whether bleeding or injured have (2) minutes injury time. If the player takes longer then the (2) minutes play will resume. The extra time is only ever played in grand finals. If that player is replaced, they can not retake the court until the half time break.
***Jewellery & Nails***
- No jewellery is allowed with the exception of a wedding band or medical bracelet, which must be taped. No earrings allowed.
- Nails must be short & rounded or gloves must be worn.
- The Umpires decision is final. Under no circumstances may a player approach an umpire during play or question an umpire’s ruling. The team captain may approach the umpire at half time or at the end of the game to civilly ask for a call to be clarified.
- An Umpire may penalise the offending player or team with any action considered appropriate under the rules of the game.
EG: For dangerous play, misconduct or descent, the Umpire may warn the offending player or send them from the court for a specified time,
- ( 3 ) centres
- Till the end of the half
- The game
- &/or advance the penalty up the court.
- The umpire also has the right to warn against harassing from the sidelines being either from players or spectators. The offending team may be penalised &/or players or spectators can be asked to leave the centre.
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DOES SPORTSWORLD PEAKHURST TOLERATE THE ABUSE OF OUR UMPIRES. IF A PLAYER OR TEAM HAS A PROBLEM WITH AN UMPIRE IN OUR CENTRE PLEASE DON’T HESITATE TO SPEAK TO OUR STAFF MEMBERS AT THE FRONT COUNTER, IN A CIVIL MANNER.
IF A PLAYER CONTINUES NOT TO FOLLOW RULES SET DOWN BY SPORTSWORLD PEAKHURST MANAGEMENT, THEY MAY BE SUSPENDED OR ASKED TO LEAVE THE CENTRE PERMANENTLY.
- All players must pay compulsory registration & insurance before taking the court.
- Any person that is not registered is not permitted to take the court.
- Any team that is playing with unregistered players will receive no game points.
- Match fees must be paid in full before the start of each game, regardless of the number of players.
- If a team forfeits a match, that team must still pay their game fee.
- If a team forfeits on the day of the game they must pay the other team’s game payment also.
- Any team that forfeits twice in a competition will be replaced.